Sunday, November 11, 2012

Two Weeks In

Two weeks into the Spence tour, we're here in Battle Creek, MI. Day one of three days off until the next show. It's nice to not have to rush to a venue, even if I'm only setting out shirts. It is the easier part of everything in the Spence machine, and definitely the least glamorous.

Met some interesting people along the way. From the probably insane in Phoenix, to dedicated fans all over the midwest.

Playing my part in this whole thing has been fun, interesting, and also, at times, kind of a bummer.

Mostly for the fact that I am, indeed, just the merch guy. The guys in the band are awesome, and fun. I think we've gotten along pretty well so far. Especially with the fact that only 1 of them knew me before this whole trip started. 

It is just hard, at times, to see all the people go up to the guys, starstruck, all the praise, what have you. While I am just the guy slinging the shirts and CD's.

Don't get me wrong, I know my role in this whole thing, I accept it, and knew what I was getting into when I agreed. I accept that, and don't hate on anything about it. It's just that, you know, I wish there was one person who was a fan of the merch table guy. lol. Stupid, right?

On top of that, there were a couple days where I was reminded of my place in life. I'm not thinking on purpose, but, it hurt no less. Just the comedy relief, and who cares if he sleeps on the floor. While I wasn't the only one on the floor, I was the only one not offered what everyone else was offered. It's still bugging me, to be honest, and it does make it hard to try and be the cheery salesman when that's just eating away at you.

But, it is what it is, my lot in life. Really doesn't help when the rest of your posse all look better than you, are in better shape, and play in a band. lol. No one seems to be going for my "I give off a lot of heat" line when it's cold, not that they should. I'm not a rocker much anymore. Just a guy.

I don't want this to come off as sour grapes. I appreciate that I was given this opportunity. To see so many new places, places I would have probably never seen. Tried some new things, new foods. Met some nice people, and have been exposed to some new bands along the way.

I do miss home as well, but, mostly just because I miss some of the foods I was used to eating all the time. Craving buffalo wings like nuts! Also, missing my TV shows, and a couple video games I had been waiting for. But, 3 more weeks, and I'll see them all again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment